Lavishly Loved

I'm a simple girl with a huge heart for God, family and friends.

Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Monday, April 24, 2006

Kevin Max


Saturday night plans changed, and I was able to go see Kevin Max (from DC Talk) in Concert.

I was also able to hang with one of my best friends, Aaron. (who is leaving the Michigan area in June..which stirs up a ton of emotions for me…but that is a whole different blog, for a different day…

I love you bro! xoxo

It was good to see Kevin. I can remember the first time I saw him in 1989, at Cobo Hall in downtown Detroit…. He was this HOT “roady” for this band Degarmo & Key. I didn’t even know he was a singer.

Then he’s introduced with this up and coming band called “DC Talk”. (Which became one of my favorite CCM bands in college) I thought Kevin was great…for numerous reasons…He’s quirky (those who know anything about him…totally know what I am talking about.) He’s beautiful…I am mean, those eyes…WOW!. … ! and then his unique voice! ( I have a thing for guys who can sing higher than me Hahaha.).

God used that band in a very pivotal point in my life; in 1992…(let’s just say those were my dark days) anyways…I will never forget, sitting up in nosebleed seats at the Palace of Auburn Hills, (I had not been to church in forever) while other church friends had front row seats.. then DC Talk walked out on stage, and began to sing..”Some people gotta learn the hard way…I guess I’m the type who has to find out for myself, I had to learn the hard way Father..I’m on my knees and I’m crying for help”…my eyes are welling up just thinking about it. God is SO gracious and forgiving isn’t HE ?! whew…and guess what song is playing right now…HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD!..

Anyways…Kevin has been someone I’ve admired from afar, since the departure of DC TAlk. He's recorded several solo cd's, was Joseph in the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. He has had some highs and lows. He has been through a lot in the past 7 years. Life is hard enough, and he had to live his life in the ‘public eye’…the “Christian Judgmental” eye can be so much worse, at times. (below is an excerpt from Kevin's Blog)


...".How do i make it in the music business?...i tell them realize what it is and what it means...music Business...is just that...music with a small m, Business with a big B.. and it takes sacrifice...sometimes at the cost of everything around you.......i now know this......for many years i traveled the wide successful road with a band of brothers that new little else.....we reached a pinnacle of success that so few can ever aspire to or even dream of.....but that road found its end for me a long time ago....i began to smell of complacency... judgment and self-righteousness.....it became a home of beaurocracy and politics....a place of religion and fear....i became one with it.....i became the poster child for it.....and then i needed to get off.....i needed a break.....i needed to find myself all over again....and at the cost of a marriage and many friendships.....i made my way across the great divide with dreams of finding the truth....of finding my spirituality.....of finding revelation through experience and learning through humility.....i have found a new life....one that is free of all the confines but is a harder road....one that is more difficult to walk....but when i walk....i walk upright.....and when i sing, i sing with a passion not found in quite some time.....thank you to all my friends for supporting me through my period of learning.....thank GOD for the grace and mercy you continue to bestow in spite of myself.....i needed to find my spirit again, YOUR Spirit......after being bruised and kicked in the ribs for quite some time i have found it again.....and the spirit of a thing..........is what keeps it, intact."-Kevin Max


But I have so much respect for him. He has moved on. His latest CD…you can almost feel the change. He’s older;(heck I was 19 when DC Talk first hit the scene. Kevin was 21!) he’s wiser (he’s still quite a character) and he has embraced who God has designed him to be. (which is something I struggle with every day) He is totally comfortable in his own skin.

It was good to see you Kevin. Keep rocking! Keep seeking HIM. You are the apple of His eye. He makes all things new!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home