Lavishly Loved

I'm a simple girl with a huge heart for God, family and friends.

Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Friday, April 28, 2006

They're BACK-Stryper!


Well tonight, I was able to go see Stryper, their acoustic tour. To answer any questions...yes, back in 1982, my brother Steve and I were HUGE fans and we would go and see every Stryper concert that came to Detroit. Did we fit in ?? not at all...I would try to get my hair as big as possible...and wore dark clothes...but other than that...we were odd balls, but always had a blast.

So needless to say, I was WAY excited about this concert. I dragged my husband Steve with me. (please note: that he was and is an alternative music lover...so back in the 80's he was into Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunnymen, U2-NOT heavy metal) so you know how excited he was to be there.

But it was unlike any "Stryper" concert I had ever been to. NO special effects, no light show, no spandex (thank GOD! LOL) and no electric guitars. The one thing I LOVE about acoustic concerts is that you actually get to see and hear true musicianship with no special effects, and lead guitar lics with no reverb...and the Boys from Stryper did not disappoint. Michaels voice was as pure as it was in the 80's. Michael and Oz...let me say, they are some serious guitar players! (Oz...who knew you were so nice looking under all of that hair! ? LOL)

They opened and closed the night with 2 things, they've never done before. Prayer and worship. They walked out with no introductions, and Michael said, "Lets Pray"...he prayed for quite a while and went right into worship. I knew right then this night would be different. They lead 4 worship choruses and then went into some of their older songs and new songs.

Then they totally did something out of the blue. They took almost a half an hour to answer questions, about their lives, their walks with God, etc. I don't know if the audience was ready for all of the changes. We saw quite a few "interesting' people who were ready to ROCK...These guys were NOT here to entertain they were here to minister (and to be ministered to)

They closed with some older songs and then some more worship songs and a prayer time.

They sang one of my favorite songs, Honestly. This song means a lot to me. As many people attached themselves to it as a 'love song'...It became an anthem for a friendship.

I actually sang it at a close friends (Renee) 16th Birthday party, back in 1987. I broke down during the song. (to this day Renee's grandmother will bring that up..."I still remember when you started to cry when you sang that sweet song to Renee"-thanks Grandma...LOLOL but if anyone has ever had one of those friends, (especially in High School) that knows you better than you know yourself. They are there for you at all times. Who's been with you through moody times, good times, boyfriends, breakups, mission trips, etc. and still love you...those friends you treasure with all you've got. And even though afterall of these years, and our lives have taken different journeys...she still has irreplaceable spot in my heart.

So as cheesy as some would say this is to do...I leave you with this.

" And through the years I will be a friend For always and forever ..Call on me and I'll be there for you I'm a friend who always will be true And I love you can't you see That I love you honestly I will never betray your trust in me And I love you can't you see That I can say I love you honestly"

Love ya Ren...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home